When I think of the myriad of ways that people use those two adjectives, it makes me wonder what other people consider to be Apostolic Pentecostal.I know my definition, which I’ll share here in a few minutes, but what is your definition? What do you think an Apostolic Pentecostal should be? I would wager most oneness churches do not have a strict code of thou shalt bes in order to be a member in the congregation, but I expect most would want their saints to eventually mature in to stable God-fearing saints who produce a lot of fruit.
So here is what I define as an Apostolic Pentecostal. Some may lok at this list and think that I have cut and pasted most everything out of the United Pentecostal Church International’s (UPCI) statements of what they believe. That is not true however; I had these beliefs even before I knew that the church I attended in Okinawa Japan (The church I was baptized and received the Holy Ghost in) was a member church in the UPCI. Well, without further ado, here is what I mean when I talk about Apostolic Pentecostal, and what I base most of the articles on this blog about.
- A belief in one God and a denial of the Trinity as a false doctrine that has spread through the church like a viral infection
- Baptism by complete immersion invoking the name of Jesus during the baptism
- Baptism by the Holy Ghost (Spirit) with the evidence of speaking in an unknown tongue
- Living a holy lifestyle which includes:
- bridling the tongue (cussing excluded from vocabulary… learn new adjectives!)
- Dressing modestly to include skirts and dresses on women and full length pants on men
- Praying included in daily routine
- Devotional Bible reading
- Showing evidence of the Fruit of the Spirit in your life
Well, as you can see, that is some of what I consider important in being defined as an Apostolic Pentecostal person. A devotion to God and His Word is paramount in being a Christian, and with the help of the Holy Ghost in your life, none of these things are impossible. In fact they are down right easy when you walk and talk them every day! This post is dedicated to Apostolics everywhere who believe and teach the same.